Thursday, February 12, 2009

Glorify

John 17
What is the meaning of "Glorify"?
To give glory, honor, or high praise to; exalt
According to Webster's: to make glorious by bestowing honor, praise, or admiration.

What the heck does all that mean,
really?

"After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began."

Jesus has "glorified" God by "completing" the work God gave him to do.
Understood, he finished what was supposed to be done, which was telling the truth so that people might have eternal life.
Now, Jesus in return, asked God to "glorify" him so that he may "glorify" God.
Is he asking God to raise him from the dead and ascend to heaven as the glorification?
In our lives, are we supposed to ask God to "glorify" us by doing something out of the ordinary, so God can be "glorified"?
So what is this "something" that is out of the ordinary?

"And glory has come to me[Jesus] through them[the disciples]. "
Were the disciples the handy result of God's work through Jesus, and hence Jesus was glorified through his disciples from what was given by God, there God is glorified.

"Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified."
Keeping them clean, protected, grounded. Because for the disciples, Jesus stayed cleaned, protected and was grounded by God, so they can be the same. Being a great example.

For all who will believe through the disciples:
"I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me."
So glory is given. Glory is served. In order for glory to be reflected or have effect, it has to be accepted by the recipient.
In this case, complete unity is the glory.

"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

To God be the glory.